Monday, September 10, 2012

Revolution of BB cream

I was anxious when I got to know that Maybelline has released a new product. Then, I got to know, it's gonna be something BB cream. I've gotta admit, I love Maybelline Clear Smooth BB Cream and when I knew that this new product is gonna be something from the same Clear Smooth line, I was ecstatic!

When I saw the product, honestly, I was a little intrigued... BB cream that will transform into powder upon application?


Yes, honey, it is the Maybelline Clear Smooth BB Stick if you don't know yet.

Maybelline claims this product has 8 benefits in just one product. So, what are the benefits?
  • Controls shine - Mineral clay formula helps keep skin shine-free all day
  • Lasts all day - Powder finish resists sweat and sebum for up to 12 hours
  • Clears - Reduces the appearance of dark spots, redness, fine lines, and wrinkles
  • Refines - Reduces the appearance of pores
  • Conceals - Instantly hides flaws and imperfections
  • Evens - Corrects uneven skin tone
  • Smoothens - Makes skin feel smooth, soft, and supple
  • Protects - SPF 21/PA+++ protects against harmful UVA and UVB rays
So, how true are the claims?

I picked up one of it in the shade Natural because there are only two shades available in the market and the other shade, Fresh, is a little too fair for me.


Yeah, you are right - I'm getting darker by day. Hey, it's fall now, right? So, it is okay to get darker. LOLX! Okay, at least that is what I think.

The first thing I checked out when I first opened it up, was the total amount of the product that is in the packaging itself.


Personally, I think there is quite decent amount of product in the packaging. It may not be a lot but I guess for myself, this amount will probably last like 4 to 6 months since I don't wear make-up on daily basis. Then again, I have other BB creams in my collection too.

On the packaging, I guess it is sleek and travel-friendly. Look at it this way, if you're traveling to certain countries, anything liquidy that is more than 100ml is forbidden to bring on board, unless you're checking in. This BB stick, is not liquid base so, I guess you can get away with it by just slipping it into your pocket or handbag.

I don't actually have issues with such packaging but I do find it a little icky that when you tend to twist the BB stick, the product would get scratched by all the twisting works, leaving lines after lines.


Other than that, I do like the packaging - it's super convenient!

When swatched and blended this is how it looks like...


Believe me, the shade completely matched my complexion although it does look a little fair on back of my hand, in the picture above.

This is the picture of my pretty face before the BB stick application.


Lemme see... dark under eye circles, enlarged pores and uneven skin tone.

Well, terrible, right?

Anyway, application of this BB stick is really easy with such packaging. All you've gotta do is just twist it and apply it onto your skin, just like so...


I have to admit, one downside of this kinda packaging - hygiene issue. Imagine having to apply the product directly onto your face and the next time around, you have to use it again after it has been exposed to their air and also your previous skin condition.

After that, you just need to pat the product until it blends really well onto your skin!

Easy, right?

Now, for the differences of with and without the product on my face...


LOLX! I know, there is an obvious difference!

My complexion after the application was completely brightened up and with just one application, it concealed even my dark under eye circles and uneven skin tone. My pores looked more refined and smoother after the application as well!

If you're a person who likes cream products that will transform in powder, this is the product you may like. Upon application, it is creamy but when you blend it using your fingers, you can actually feel it becomes powdery.


Initially, I didn't think much of this product because I did not expect a lot out of it but I like it!

However, this BB stick does feel a little heavier than the other BB cream from Maybelline that I own. I guess that could be the reason why it could cover my imperfections quite well.


I mean for a fair price of only RM24.90, what else can I complain, right? Yeah, the twisty-twist-twist packaging that leaves marks on the BB stick, that's my only complain.

Okay, let's do a reality check on what the product claims...
  • Controls shine
    My skin does not feel oily upon application but around 3 to 4 hours later, however, I do feel tinge of shininess peeking through - with or without setting powder.
  • Lasts all day
    Honestly, I don't think it lasts the whole day. After 3 to 4 hours, after noticing the shine, the product would be gone after 5 to 6 hours without re-application. I guess maybe my skin is extra oily, I don't know.
  • Clears
    Yes, it does reduce the appearance of redness but not for fine lines and wrinkles. You cannot actually hide your fine lines or wrinkles without silicon, that is my guess.
  • Refines
    This is a plus point for me! My pores do appear smaller and more refined every time I use this product! I think this BB stick can be used as primer for my foundation!
  • Conceals
    Acnes, pimples, scars and other blemishes - this product hides them quite well!
  • Evens
    Another plus point because I have uneven skin tone and this product evens it out quite naturally without making me look ghostly!
  • Smoothens
    I am not quite sure about smoothening effect. I don't think my skin feels smooth, soft or even supple after application. I did mention that it does feel a little heavy.
  • Protects
    UVA and UVB? I'm not sure too - if the product says so, then, yeah, it is supposed to be so.
So, out of the 8 claims, I would say 6 of them are true!

Lemme do a recap of my before and after pictures just in case you're too lazy to scroll up.


Quite nice, right?

Anyway, if you have yet to try it out, do head to your nearest store to give it a try. I got mine at one of the retail store at my hometown at 30% discount. Yeah, I know, it is quite rare that you find Maybelline products retailing at 30% discount. Most of the times, if you step into Guardian, Watson or Sasa, the most they will offer is at 15% discount.


If you have tried this BB stick, is it a YAY or a NAY?

No comments: