Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Make-up 101

Let's talk a little bit about beauty today.

I get tons of questions at my workplace and among friends what kind of make-up products that I use in order to achieve the most basic made-up look. There were even people who asked me whether I want to conduct make-up class but because I do not possess any basic or experience in the field, I will not conduct any class since most of the look I either learn it from Youtube or blogs.

However, if you want to know what kind of products I use whenever I doll myself up, I could share those products with you.

* I have combination skin.

** please understand that whatever I love may not be what you will love. Our skin differs greatly and certain things that work for me may not work for you. Hence, the best way is for you - trial and error. 

*** the price stated is of approximation. I do not know the real price since there will be price changes yearly or even monthly.

Over the years, I have tried out countless products and of course, I did come across products that I love and products that I regretted buying.

Today, I am going to share with you my everyday make-up basics - from high-end to drugstore.

1. Foundation

I have a lot of foundations and BB creams in my possession but honestly, I do not like BB creams at all because it is so difficult to shade a shade that matches my skin tone. BB creams often come with higher SPF and if I were to take flash photography, I'd always end up with white cast - that's ugly!

As far as foundation goes, I like foundation with lower SPF or without SPF.

My selection of high end foundation - MAC Studio Fix Fluid (RM130).

I am a MAC NC25. Please check out your MAC shade at any MAC counters if you're interested in their foundations or concealers.

This foundation has medium coverage and build-able to full. Please be warned that although this foundation looks great upon application but throughout the day, it oxidizes and turns orangey on me. Still, I love this foundation. I tend to mix it with my NARS Sheer Matte Foundation for best effect.


If you are new to foundation, I do understand that you will somehow hesitate whether you should be spending RM100++ for a foundation. Of course, it is good if you're willing to checkout what our Guardians or Watsons have - L'Oreal, Maybelline, Revlon and Kate are some of the brands that I'd advise you to check on.

Personally, I do not use those foundation because I've found my HG lower end foundation - Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation (520 baht or RM60). I bought this in one of the Watsons in Bangkok last year.

My shade is #53 Beige Clair.

Honestly, I love this foundation more than my MAC's. I get countless comments on how good my skin looks whenever I use it. What is there not to love?

Downside - it's not available in Malaysia but as far as I know, a little bird told me that it'll be available in Malaysia pretty soon.

As far as powder foundation goes, my only selection is Make-Up For Ever Duo Mat Foundation (RM180). My shade is #203 if you want to know.


I am not a powder foundation kinda girl. Although I do realize that application is much easier than using liquid foundation, still, I found out that I don't really reach out of this foundation often although it is quite good - full coverage and it promises a flawless skin!

There is no lower-end powder foundation of my choice because I am quite picky when it comes to foundation so over the years, those powder foundations at drugstore have yet to wow me.

2. Eyeshadows

My only advice - get a palette!

Palette is often cheaper than single eyeshadows, plus, you will get more variety.

As anal as I am towards foundation, I am equally anal about my eyeshadows. So far, Urban Decay is the only brand of high-end eyeshadows that I own. I have given away the rest.

Let's talk about natural colours - browns, whites, silvers and greys.

My pick - Urban Decay Naked Basics (RM98).


Naked has always been my favourite line of eyeshadows from Urban Decay. However, if you are a newbie, you might not want to spend RM190 to get a full Naked Palette. Naked Basics is equally good - pigmented and long lasting!

My pick for lower-end eyeshadow - Wet n' Wild Vanity (RM29.50) from Colours Cosmetics Malaysia.

Wet n' Wild has some pretty good quality of eyeshadows if you'd ask me so if you're considering, please head to the link above to check them out!

3. Blusher

I don't own too many blushers because those that I have are my HGs.

My choice of high-end blusher - Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Exposed (RM120 Sephora, RM109 Colours Cosmetics Malaysia).


Exposed is a beautiful shade that gives that soft natural glow on your cheeks on those days when you do not want to go overboard with your make-up.

My lower-end pick - NYX Powder Blush in Angel (RM25).

Angel... need I say more? Soft pink that makes you look demure!

4. Eyeliner

I am very picky when it comes to eyeliner because I have oily eyelids and most of the eyeliners that I have tried over the years tend to move and smear.

That's the reason why in the end, I resort to liquid eyeliner.

My love is Dolly Wink Liquid Eyeliner (RM59.90). I would not consider this as high-end or low-end but this is something that I love and it has been my staple for several years now!


If you've just started out with make-up and liquid eyeliner is not your forte, well... in that case, you'd have to get pencil eyeliners. Please make sure the eyeliners are waterproof or else, you're gonna end up looking like a panda.

My pick for high-end pencil eyeliner - Make Up For Ever Aqua Eye Liner (RM75).


MUFE Aqua Eye is like magic - once it sets, it will not move at all. I tried it on my waterline and yes, it didn't smear too for the whole day but because I don't like pencil eyeliners, I usually don't bother to use it.

My pick for lower-end pencil eyeliner - NYX Slide-On Pencil Eyeliner (RM25).

This eyeliner has similar effect to MUFE Aqua Eye but the issue is, it'll stay put maybe for few hours only.

5. Eyebrow pencil

Empro Eyebrow Pencil (RM49.90) all the way and I couldn't be wrong about it. This is my fifth pencil and I'm still loving it!


Available in Watsons and Sasa only temporarily.

6. Mascara


I am not so much of a mascara junkie because I have typically few and sparse Asean lashes. My eyelashes are hardly visible even with mascara. I have problems finding the right mascara due to this. I tried out Max Factor's and no matter how good the BC claimed it to be, it failed to show on my tiny lashes.

However, up to this very day, nothing can compare to my Lancôme Hypnose Waterproof Mascara (RM98). This mascara separates my lashes without cluttering them together and it creates volume to my think lashes. Two thumbs up for this mascara!

On the lower end brand - Maybelline has the best mascaras out there! I tried Maybelline The Rocket (RM32.90) and it works wonder. Although it is a good mascara, due to the big wand, I find it so difficult to apply mascara on my bottom lashes.

7. Lips products

I don't fancy lip glosses so, I will not recommend them.


YSL Rouge Volupté in #2 Sensual Silk (108 baht or approximately RM120) is my choice for high-end lipstick. Although the product doesn't really last that long on my lips, still, the packaging is gorgeous! Downside of it, you can't find it in Malaysia.

If you're going economical with lips product, I'd choose NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Stockholm (RM26). They have a variety of shades for you to choose from.

8. Brushes

Going back to the basic - you need brushes to apply make-up but, you don't need to get all! Do your research and get to know what are the basic brushes that you need. 


If you're thinking to splurge, well, MAC Cosmetics have good quality brushes. However, the price is not cheap. MAC #219 Pencil Brush retails for about RM120 about 2 years ago. Perhaps the price has gone up, I'm not sure.

Well, if you're thinking to thrift, maybe you may consider Sigma Brushes. I bought my Sigma E30 Pencil Brush (RM45) from Colours Cosmetics Malaysia

Cheaper than Sigma?

Colours Cosmetics Malaysia has their own line of brushes with top notch quality.


I can guarantee you that these brushes from CCM are really on par with those expensive ones out there. Best of all, their prices range from RM30 to RM55 each.

9. Something extra

In the case that you have extra cash, you may consider getting the following items. They are not necessities but well, it doesn't hurt to have them around. They may just come in handy.


Eyelash curlers - well... I do own them but I don't really use them. If I need extra volume or length, usually, I'd go for falsies or maybe I would opt for extension.

To level up my laziness and lousy skills in curling my lashes, this baby would do the trick!


Panasonic Electronic Eyelash Curler (RM49 to RM89). I love this gadget. Basically, you just need to turn on the switch and this curler will complete the eyelashes curling job for you!

I hate to admit it but sometimes, in hot and humid country like Malaysia, our foundation melts off easily. Most of the times, I'd opt for foundation primer.


However, when I first started using make-up, I did not want to spend extra on these primers. My advice is, experiment with foundation first and then, when you're good to go, then, you can spend additionally on primers. Benefit Porefessional (RM120) is recommended for those with enlarged pores and I love this product!

Similarly, if you are on budget, you can opt for Revlon Photo Ready Primer (RM59).

Need a little contouring?

Well, I don't really spend much on bronzers so, the only bronzer that I have is NYX Matte Bronzer (RM45), which I got from Colours Cosmetics Malaysia.


It may not be the best bronzer but for the price, I'd say, it's performing quite alright.

Now, let's move on to setting your make-up.

I don't like setting my liquid foundation with powder foundation. I'd prefer a setting powder. The one that I love and have been my HG for almost a year, Bobbi Brown Retouching Powder (RM130).


I don't think I'd be able to find a cheaper alternative. I've tried out Ben Nye Banana Luxury Powder and honestly, no matter how many people out there love it, I don't quite like it.

The finish that the Bobbi Brown Retouching Powder provides is flawless. It's just like you're falling in love with the texture of your skin when you touch it.

Last but not least, if you're gonna attend any function and you wish that your make-up will last even if you sweat, well... spend some extra bucks on setting spray after you've applied all make-up products on your face.


My recommendation - Urban Decay Make-up Setting Spray (RM109) or similarly, you can opt for cheaper alternative - NYX Finishing Spray (RM45).

It doesn't really matter what products you use. At the end of the day, as long as you know that certain product is good, by all means, use it. You don't really need to spend much - get few good quality products and believe me, those are the only products that you'll need.

I hope this entry helps!

No comments: