Monday, January 30, 2012

Lip balms and more of them!

Honestly, I am not so much of a lip balm user because I rarely get chapped or dry lips. It could be due to Malaysia weather that is hot and humid all year round that thank God my lips never chapped before.

Just about few weeks back when the weather in KL started to get really dry, my lips chapped to the point it was freaking painful to even drink! I had no choice but to head out to the nearest Watson to get a lip balm temporarily.

I was trying to find the usual lip balm that I had been using in the past but I couldn't find it. So, I resorted to this...


Mentholatum Waterlip Balm.

Nothing special, I know but I needed something to ease the pain. Upon application, a tingling minty sensation could be felt but the effect for is not long lasting in my opinion. You might need to reapply like every 10 minutes to ease your lips.

Crazy, right?

There isn't any scent to this lip balm if you're wondering, so... if you're those who dislike scents or tastes, this might be the lip balm for you.

Pros
Cheap, quite cheap! Available everywhere throughout Malaysia. Convenient packaging too.

ConsEffect is below mild and might not work for those with severe chapped lips.
Price - RM12.90
Product - 2 out of 5
Packaging - 3.5 out of 5
Availability - Watson, Guardian and almost everywhere!
Re-purchase - No, unless I have no other choice

After using this lip balm for two days, my lips didn't get any better, so... I headed to Guardian this time around and purchased another lip balm with stronger minty sensation.


My sister actually told me to get Mentholatum Men's Lip Balm for better effect since any products that are meant for the guys, the effect is usually doubled up.

My take for this lip balm is that... it does have stronger effect.

The thing I really love about this lip balm is that the aftermath of applying, you will have a stronger minty effect plus, a sweet, minty - something Darlie-ish feeling on your lips. Like the other lip balm that I have used, the effect for this lip balm isn't long lasting as well. You've gotta reapply like every 10 to 15 minutes.

Pros
Cheap, very cheap! Available everywhere throughout Malaysia. Convenient packaging too.

ConsEffect is average and might not work for those with severe chapped lips.
Price - I got it for RM6.90 but normal price is around RM10 to RM12
Product - 2.5 out of 5
Packaging - 3.5 out of 5
Availability - Watson, Guardian and almost everywhere!
Re-purchase - Probably

Lemme just show you a side by side pictures of these two lip balms. Well... actually they are of the same manufacturer so... nothing really special.


I guess my chapped lips were pretty severe because these two lip balms did nothing to ease the pain and to moisturize my lips.

Luckily, another BFF of mine came back from Australia and look at what she has bought for me!


The infamous Carmex Lip Balm!!!

I have been wanting lip balms from Carmex for the longest time and yes, finally, I have this lip balm in my possession now!

Muahahahahaha...


Upon receiving this lip balm, I tried it out immediately because those 2 Mentholatum lip balms did no justice to my severely chapped lips!

Honestly, I am not gonna say I love this lip balm but hey... this lip balm really works, no joke! After applying, it was like instantly, my lips felt moisturized and the tingling mild minty sensation was a plus point!

Reapplication is only needed probably after 15 to 20 minutes. Personally, I feel this is good enough because within two days, my chapped lips became better!

The only downside to this product was the smell.

I am a smell orientated person but this product smells like Ridsect, if you get what I mean - mosquitoes and insects killer, geddit?

When I first used this product, I felt like having headache because of the smell. This kinda situation rarely happens actually but... well... a thin layer is the solution to my problem.

Then again, I guess not a lot of people like jar packaging where you need to scoop out the product.

ProsIt works amazingly on chapped lips as claimed by the product! Mild minty sensation is a plus point
ConsPackaging sucks because it is not hygienic to keep on digging your fingers into the product for reapplication. The smell of insects' killer might set some people off repurchasing or even using this product.
Price - AUS$10.95 or something like that
Product - 3.5 out of 5
Packaging - 2 out of 5
Availability - I don't know... LOLX!
Re-purchase - Probably but this jar can last me a year!

Anyway, those are the lip balms I have been using now.

Do share which lip balms work for you!

1 comment:

Isabel said...

Never tried those but in my experience, only Mentholatum Lip Pure works like a charm for me. Those 2 you used look like the normal 'waxy' kinda but Lip Pure 'melts' which means you can't apply lipstick above it though =/ There's one called LucasPaw (something that sounds like it xD) too but I don't think it's available here