Saturday, August 9, 2008

Eternity...

"Where are we going, grandma?"

"Somewhere that grandma and grandpa have always wanted to show you."

"Where is it?"

"A place where you can find eternal happiness with the person you love."

I was clutching grandma's hands while grandpa was driving. I could feel myself perspired profusely. I was excited, very excited. Once in a while, I would glance over at grandma only to realize she was smiling at me all the times.

"Grandma, where is the place that you can find eternal happiness?"

Instead of answering my question, grandma pointed out of the car, "Can you see those hills amidst of the white clouds up there?"

I looked out of the car to search for the hills that grandma was talking about. As my eyes set on the hills amidst of the white clouds, at once, I felt serene. Grandpa, who was driving, stopped the car at the roadside and said, "It is a place of eternal happiness."

"Can I go there with you guys?"

Grandpa giggled and said, "Why would you want to go there with us when you know your parents and siblings will be worried if they find you missing?"

"We can't bring you there to stay with us but we can bring you there to look around," grandma told me.

The closer we were to the peak of the hills, the more people I could see walking around the place. They seemed friendly and they greeted us when we went out of grandpa's car. I could see people a joyous circus-look-alike scene. Everybody seemed happy at the place.

"Grandma, grandpa, let's go play!"

I had a great time running around with grandma and grandpa at the place. But time passed by too hastily when I was with them. Grandma and grandpa sat on a bench with me sandwiched in between them.

"It's time for you to go home, my dear."

"I don't want to go home yet!"

"You wouldn't want to be stuck here, right?" grandpa asked me.

"But I want to be with you guys! I want to be in a place where I can find eternal happiness too, with you guys!"

I was beginning to cry when grandma handed over her white handkerchief, "You silly girl... Grandma and grandpa will forever be with you no matter where you are."

"But I want to see you guys again!"

"When the time comes, we'll be reunited for once again."

Throughout the years of growing up with my grandparents by my side, I never felt lonely. Grandma and grandpa were there with me all the times despite of in health or sickness. They never gave up on me even though there were times when I angered them with my childish thoughts and behaviours.

Their departures to a place where they could find eternity marked the beginning of a world that they could no longer be with me physically. I cried and wept when both of them left me in 2002 and 2004. Though they have left me physically, I believe that they will always be there for me spiritually and emotionally.

I came to understand when grandma said 'a place where you can find eternity with the one you love' actually means she has found grandpa and they've reunited.

I know very well that I might not be able to see them again but some where in my mind, I know, one day, we will be reunited for once again when the time comes. It comforts me to know that they've finally found eternity and peace in the place where they are at now.

No comments: