Thursday, October 22, 2015

Things I have learned at work

If you do not know yet, I have resigned from my job about 6 months ago and ever since then, life has been blissful. I am blessed to have chances to fly to several places despite not earning a single cent. Next month, I will be flying off to Seoul for another most anticipated trip. I have never felt so thankful in the past when I was still holding a job. 

Even people that I have met told me, "It's good that you have left that hell hole."

In fact, I do feel that the choice to leave that organization is by far the best decision I have made in my entire life.

Being in the organization for a full 2 years, I have to tell you all that it's more than enough. I know there are some of you who have been working 5 to 10 to 20 years with the same organization and I'm positive that you're going to tell me things like, "Oh, it happens in all organization so you've gotta crawl to learn to adapt."

My answer to your statement, "NO!"'

If crawling enables me to learn and to develop myself, I don't mind crawling but in my previous organization, I couldn't even envision my future at all. I have met too many idiots, two-headed snakes, ass-worshippers and so on - enough is enough.

Today, I am going to share with you, some of the things I have learned at work, hopefully to those of you who are reading this, you may benefit from it.

1. Possessing higher education does not make you a smarter person.

Seriously, up to this point of my life, even if I have a Master's degree, so what? There is nothing special with that piece of paper. However, there are certain people in the organization that behave like they have it all just because they have PhD. 

Remember, even PhD doesn't make you a smart person - learn to be humble.

2. Not everyone is fighting the same battle as you.

I know you are going to tell me to go with the flow but sometimes, I do feel going with the flow is going against my conscience when the flow is cheating another person. Why do I have to oblige when I very well know what other people is doing is wrong? 

Problems come when you have decided to go against them.

3. Not everyone is competent enough to hold their positions.

You may be a senior manager but then again, when your staff asked you a question and your reply is, "Eh, is there such thing? I didn't know about it! Too bad for you."

What the fuck is wrong with the HR for recruiting these kinda people to be managers or upper level management?

If you possess the qualification to be a manager, prove it! I'm not telling you to prove it by being an idiot.

4. Not everyone is your friend.

You may want to keep a low profile because backstabbers are everywhere. There are times people around you may seem like friends but think twice, they may be ones who are going to backstab you if you are not careful.

Learn not to tell everyone about everything. Learn to keep certain things to yourself. Learn not to talk too much too.

5. "Worshipers" are everywhere!

You have to bear with it. Sometimes, you will meet an idiot boss whom will mislead you but instead of correcting him, you will see people that goes like, "Oh, boss, you're very smart! We are going to follow you!"

So, if your boss is telling you to jump off the cliff just because he is an asshole, are you going to do so? Stop worshiping the ground your idiotic bosses or friends walk on.

6. There are differences between a "boss" and a "leader".

A leader leads while a boss orders around. You get the difference, right?

A leader will correct you if you're wrong but a boss warns and scolds you in front of everyone when you've made a mistake. 

A stupid boss will ask you to choose between your family or your job.

7. Threats will be thrown around if you do not comply to what your superior wants.

This happens when your boss doesn't get what he or she wants. 

"I don't care if there is no volunteer and if nobody wants to volunteer, I will randomly choose two of you to represent us and you are not allowed to decline."

Rings a bell?

Hello, boss, why not you volunteer yourself?

8. Courtesy may not always be available.

We all know we are paid to work but we are not well informed when people asked for help, there are no 'please' and 'thank you'. 

9. There will always be someone who is eyeing your position.

Face it - it happens everywhere. People wants your position even if they are not qualified. They will think of every possible way to throw you out of your position so that they could climb up and sit there comfortably.

10. Keep your life to yourself.

Do not, I repeat, do not approve friends at work. Do not update your personal life on facebook, instagram or twitter. It may stir the jealousy button and people may just report you.

Not happy? Eat on it.

There you go, 10 things I have learned at work.

I hope this entry will be able to help those of you who are going to be thrown in the working world.

Good luck!

No comments: