Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Taiwan 2015 - Day 1 & 2

I should have been blogging about my trip to Taiwan that was in August and look at what procrastination has done to my life - my blog was inactive for almost 2 months and I have gotten lazier by day.

I am trying my hardest to blog these days because I want to be able to look back at what happened to my life when I was younger and my blog will serve this purpose.

Without further ado, let's start talking about Taiwan, shall we?

For this trip, I was the planner, Helen was the one who was in-charge of AirBnB accommodation and Aaron was our navigator. We divided our tasks so that there would be no argument.

As Aaron and I were flying to Taiwan from Kota Kinabalu on morning flight, we actually got there pretty early and had the whole day to spend. Our itinerary for Day 1 and 2 is as follows.


The flight from Kota Kinabalu to Taipei took us approximately 3 hours. Honestly, if you were to ask me, Airasia doesn't have the most comfortable seat but then again, I guess everything was fine because Aaron and I kinda spent the 3-hour flight lazing around and talking nonsense.


Upon reaching Taoyuan International Airport, Aaron and I went and bought SIM card so we could stay in touch with Helen and the rest of the guys. They were flying in from KL because we bought our tickets separately.

I was awed at the Hello Kitty check-in kiosks that I had to take pictures with the kiosks!


Now, I do believe that Taiwan has to be one of the cutest countries! I saw Hello Kitty airplanes on the airport too!



Then, we decided to fill our tummies at the nearest 7-Eleven in Taoyuan International Airport as I was complaining how hungry I was by the time it was 10am. We walked over from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 as there is only one 7-Eleven in the airport.


I bought one onigiri, one box of california roll or whatever you call it and one ice-cream! Take note on the label of the ice-cream! LOL!

My brain was a little bit eff-ed up because I was too hungry to think but I do remember the first word that came out of my mouth after eating the onigiri was - AWESOME!


I love the onigiri and sushi rolls - I pretty much fell in love with them that I had to buy more to bring to Taichung. I was being a kiasu, seriously.

After that, we proceeded to purchase our U-Bus tickets to Taichung. The ticket cost $230 each.


The journey from Taoyuan International Airport to Taichung took us approximately 2 hours. The ride was pleasant because weather was really good. The bus itself was quite comfortable too. I was expecting the ride to be lousy since I am not so much of a bus person but Aaron assured me that everything would be fine.

I obliged and luckily for him I did not regret taking the U-Bus, else I would be throwing tantrum in the bus, just like a child would.

Upon reaching Taichung, our first stop was Shin Kong Mitsukoshi - we couldn't check in until it was 4.30pm so, we decided to go to the food court to kill some time.


The bubble milk tea didn't come cheap. It was $70 for a medium sized beverage and seriously, it wasn't that good even though I have heard enough praises about milk teas in Taiwan.

We checked into our AirBnB hostel around 6pm and decided to take our shower before heading out to Fengjia Night market. However, as usual, I was tempted by the pork burger at McD's so, I had to drag Aaron to try it out with me before hitting the night market.


To be completely honest, it was good but there wasn't any foodgasm though. LOL!

After McD's, it was time to check out one of the infamous night markets in Taichung - Fengjia Night Market.


We were lucky because our hostel was right above the night market. As soon as I started looking around, my eyes were busy searching for food - I was still hungry because I shared the McD's pork burger with Aaron. Eating only half burger wasn't enough!

Then, I saw this!


I'm not sure what this is called in English but I freaking love this stuff! It is one of the most recommended Taiwanese street food!


If you have to know, the white part is basically glutinous rice - okay, let's put it this way - this is sausage wrapped in glutinous rice, served with a bit of lettuces and special sauce.

It was really so good that I had to eat it the second time.

Another recommended food would be the pepper meat buns.


Honestly, I didn't like this at all. I don't remember why but I told Aaron it wasn't as good as what I expected it to be. So many bloggers raved about this thing but somehow, I didn't quite enjoy it. I took a bite and threw the rest to Aaron.

We went back to the hostel around 11pm as both of us were too tired.

Around 1am, finally, Helen and the rest of the guys reached the hostel - we were finally reunited!

Right after everyone unpacked, we hit our bunks.

On our second day, we woke up early and headed to the nearest 7-Eleven to purchase our Easy Cards. These cards are known as You You cards in Taiwan. It's basically like our Touch n' Go.


Well... of course their version of Touch n' Go' is cuter than ours.

Anyway, we reloaded the cards with $100 each.

We practically spent our second day at Taichung doing a lot of shopping and camwhoring since we had other plans for Day 3 and 4.


One of our highlights had to be our hi-tea session at Dazzling Cafe Sky at Shin Kong Mitsukoshi.

Prior to our visit to Taiwan, we have heard endless rumours that this cafe is one of the most recommended cafes in the country and they have several outlets all over Taiwan.


Since we were so tired from walking around since morning, we decided to stop and had our hi-tea in that cafe. However, do stay in mind that you have to book a table though because they are usually full and minimum waiting time is 30 minutes.

We waited for around 45 minutes for a table and it was okay since we spent that 45 minutes in the shopping mall.


I will be blogging about the food and beverages at the cafe in another separate entry soon.

In total, 5 of us ordered 5 different beverages and one thick toast.


Life was good - we felt so atas in the cafe.

Day 2 ended with our second visit to Fengjia Night Market.

I will be updating Day 3 and 4 itinerary soon as well.

No comments: