Wednesday, January 21, 2015

14 things I learn in 2014

Happy 2015!

My greetings come late but it's better late than never, right?

To be honest, I am more than just happy that 2014 has flown by.


Therefore, I would like to conclude the saying that goes, "Human beings grow wiser as they age." I am not implying that I am wise or smart but at the very least, I know I have learned 14 new things in 2014. These 14 new things have totally changed my perspectives in life.

Life is supposed to be simple but due to too many pressures from people and material needs around us, somehow, life becomes complicated.

Let's wind back to what I have learned in 2014.

#     #     #     #     #     #     #     #     #     #


My immature mind forever thought that friends are equal to colleagues and that we should get along well. I guess in all kind of working environment, you will be spotting office politics - people trying to bring you down, people resenting you, people who just cannot bear having you around and all others.

Above all, the scariest one would be the hypocrite.


Being nice on the surface and trying to backstab you afterwards just because they think it is alright to do so.

Sometimes, I think I am indeed idiotic enough to have trusted so many of such kind of people at workplaces. I used to label them as "friends" and now, I come to understand that there are differences between friends and colleagues.

Point to remember - your colleagues will never be your friends!


As age catches up, I guess being a female homo-sapien, we get more worried because very often, people around us would be telling us that, "A girl's market value decreases as they age."


I do not know how true that statement is but being a Chinese, I guess you can't help but to feel dejected but human beings can only plan while God decides. Instead of feeling bad about why love hasn't found me, why not spend some time to just learn that things happen for a reason?

In 2014, I have learned that love takes two to tango and it takes time to grow.


True enough - love is built on the foundation of a strong friendship.

I have to thank this person whom has always been there for me be it when I am happy or sad. It may have taken me a while to realize he has always been there but then again, things happen for a reason. As much as I wish we are meant to be, still, good things do not come easily.

If we are meant to be, things will fall together one day.


Throughout my life before 2014, my goal was to make people around me happy. If they were unhappy, my mood got affected and honestly, my day would be affected to the point I would not have any motivation to do anything.

In August 2014, after talking to a friend, I finally realized that the first rule of life is that you, as the main character in your life, should be happy. When you are happy, you will make people happy.

"When you are unhappy, there is no point trying to make everybody else happy."

"Being happy is all that matters."


I can honestly tell you, the person who has taught me so much about friendship and trust is no one else but this friend of mine, Chung Siang. The first person whom I always think of when the topic of friendship comes about is him.

We have come a long way - from ICQ stranger to a brother whom I never had. He has taught me so much about accepting people the way they are, being at your best is what it counts and that learning to love yourself is the most important thing in your life.

Part of who I am today - all thanks to him... he trusted I could be a better person and I trusted he would be guiding me along the way.

Thank you, Chung Siang, for trusting me and teaching how to trust again.

Special thanks to two special someone who has never ceased to be there for me - dong-sen-s, John and Emme - for everything.


I used to think that life will be better if everyone likes me. Hence, I tried my best to please those around me to the point I couldn't take it anymore.

I asked myself, "What do I get in return?"


You may be thinking, your life will be like a dream if people like you but bear in mind, there will be someone in your life that will dislike you no matter what you do.

Point to remember - it doesn't matter whether other people like your or not, the important thing is that, keep your head high and tell yourself, "I am all that matters."


Being an open book means that you are giving chances to people to read your mind or to hurt you. I come to learn in 2014 that you should never be an open book.

True enough, it may be difficult for people to get to know about you but at the same time, it also gives a chance for people to personally attack you.


Finally, I come to understand what Forrest Gump has said is right.


Let your life be like a box of chocolates - never give any chance to people to read you like an open book.


It feels like yesterday that I have just known this person but honestly, human beings are fast to judge. When we first got to know each other, the first impression just wasn't there.

Through time, I learned that he is a friend who is responsible, kind, humble, family oriented and well... he may look serious all the times with the MEH-ness but still... for me, he is a blessing in disguise.

Thank you, for being there :)


I seriously hate pretending to be someone I am not. There are times when people would tell you, "Girls have be be ladylike - you are not being one!"

I have to admit - there are two sides of me. I can be a girly girl but at the same time, there is another side of me who is more sporty and maybe a little tomboy-ish.

Those two sides of me defines who I really am but why do I have to listen to people telling me, "You've gotta pretend to be who you are not sometimes."

Why do I have to pretend?

To make you happy?

In 2015, I will make sure I will stop pretending to be who I am not.


Sure enough we all love a helpful person but sometimes, being too helpful is not a good thing. People may just use it as an excuse to go against you.

We learn about giving and taking in life.

Never give out but never take anything back.

Moderation is the key!


In communication, more than often, whatever a person says maybe wrongly interpreted by the other person. That explains miscommunication in a lot of situations.

Sometimes, things that we say are not being fully understood by the other person because as human beings, we tend to jump into conclusions very often.


Therefore, in 2014, I guess I have made quite a number of enemies because I can be pretty blatant and straight-forward to the point people may dislike me for saying certain truth.

Hence, I have learned that I am only responsible for what I say, whether or not you fully understood what I have said, that's not my responsibility.


I always thought I have higher standards when it comes to life because I am a person who expects a lot from other people. I know I may sound scary at times but then, to have a standard is better than not having any at all.

There was one time in my life that I told myself, "Perhaps, I should lower my expectations."

I did and I regretted.


One thing I have learned that in life, if people want to be in your life, they should raise their standards, not you lowering your standards. Lowering your standards indirectly means you are dumping your self-respect.

Respect yourself and never apologize for having high standards.


Waking up to beautiful mornings, how many of us actually feels thankful for the day?

For once, I am found guilty... I never thank God for a beautiful day and for a healthy body. Instead, when problems arise, I would put the blame on God for not putting Himself in my shoes.

In 2014, I learned that being thankful for what you have is important.


Not everyone has the chance to be who and what you are. God doesn't create everyone equally. There are reasons why certain people are better or worse than you.

Be thankful of what you have and you'll learn that life can be joyous too.


We have heard about life is all about taking chances but how many of us actually do take the chances?

Life is a gamble - if you do not take the chance, the possibility may be that you will lose the chance forever because time and tide wait for no man.

If you know what is wrong with your life, why not take the chance and make your life better?


Every step that you are going to take counts and it will shape you to who you are in future.

Point to remember - overcome your fear and step out of your comfort zone!


I learn that through a slap on my face.

Not everyone can be honest but when people are honest, you have gotta make sure you are able to take it.

Never expect cheap people to be honest with you because whatever they say will be cheap and it's not honesty.

#     #     #     #     #     #     #     #     #     #

So... those are the 14 things I have learned in 2014.

Hopefully 2015 will be kinder to me...

No comments: